Monday, August 15, 2011

Missing Diver - Finding Comfort from Friends and Blueberry Pancakes

It was a year ago today, when we received that 1:00 a.m., gut-wrenching call from the vet telling us that Diver, our 3-year-old Newfoundland, had just gone into cardiac arrest. Not knowing how he suddenly became sick, and not being able to be by his side, still breaks my heart.


Our early morning walks to coffee have never been the same, and people still stop and ask, "didn't you have two?"

Diver loved to put his front paws up on the bench in front of Starbucks for hugs

We're grateful to have Dooley, at 12 1/2 years old, and cherish every moment we can spend with him. I know he misses Diver, too.

Dooley, on Saturday, hanging out in the front yard while we worked in the garden

On Saturday morning, I had a craving for blueberry pancakes.  As I stood at the stove, with thoughts of Diver weighing heavily on my mind, Pammy and Archie walked up the back steps. Pammy is Diver's Fairy Dogmother, and her timing couldn't have been better.


We're thankful for a friend like Pammy, and Dooley's thankful for a friend like Archie.


***


Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes
Adapted from Food Network

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter, plus some for the skillet
2 cups fresh blueberries
Warm maple syrup for serving

Preheat an oven to 200ºF. Set a cooling rack on a baking sheet and put in the oven.

In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, incorporating into a lumpy batter. Overmixing results in flat, heavy pancakes.

Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Grease the skillet lightly with butter. Ladle about 1/3 cup of batter into the skillet for each pancake (three pancakes fit comfortably in my large skillet; the batter is thick, but will spread out as the pancakes cook. Scatter 6-8 blueberries over the top of each pancake. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, flip pancakes over with a spatula, and cook another 2-3 minutes. Transfer the cooked pancakes to the rack and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining pancakes. Serve with warm maple syrup.

Makes about 12 pancakes; serves 4.

***

We think of you all the time, Goofy-boy, and miss you so much

5 comments:

Sandra Younger said...

I know . . . We just went through our Terra anniversary last month. So sad. River really is a godsend. Hugs to you and biscuits to Sweet Dooley.

myfudo said...

Goody pancake with goofy in the photo. Nice photography

Carmen said...

I miss Diver, too ... such a sweet boy.

Pam said...

Sending back lots of big big hugs....You've been on my mind all day. I read the Blog post with a smile in my heart and a tear in my eye. I miss that big furry love bug too. So sweet of you to include me and Mr. Bald. We cherish your friendship, open door policy, Dooley's tolerance and nutter-butter treats so much!

All our love,
Pammy and Archie

Lakelady said...

Although I never had the privilege of meeting Diver, I feel I have come to know and love him. My heart goes out to you both (three, actually, including Dooley). I wish you many more happy moments with Dooley to come.

Love,

Patti