Monday, February 16, 2009

Fine Cooking Cook the Issue Challenge - Pulled-Pork Sandwiches with Cabbage, Caper, and Herb Slaw



I ran out of my Slow-Roasted Pork Shoulder leftovers on the first round, after making the Pork Ragout and the Pork and Potato Hash, so I roasted another small piece of pork shoulder when I made Thomas Keller's Cassoulet for our Valentine's Day Aphrodisiac Party.

Our timing was interesting in making this recipe. Last night, we watched Food Network's Ultimate Recipe Showdown: Hometown Favorites. The winner made Tongue Tantalizing Pork Sandwiches and I paid special attention when she made her slaw, knowing I would be making the Fine Cooking version tonight.

I stayed with Fine Cooking's version, but John liked her addition of applewood smoked bacon, so we tried that on his sandwich - it did add a nice smokiness, crunch and flavor. I also added a little jalapeno pepper, in addition to the cherry peppers. We also used Kaiser Rolls, after reading Kaity's post today; like Steve, I also prefer a softer roll for sandwiches.

The pork was nice and tender, after reheating, and the slaw was crunchy and full of different textures and flavors. We loved this sandwich and will definitely make it again next time we have leftover pork.

No comments: